Humans may be afraid of certain creatures, but most people seem to be afraid of snakes. In this edition of Pet Pointers, YNN's Lisa Chelenza tells us about a non-venomous snake with a dangerous twin.
For some, holding a snake is the stuff of nightmares. The fear of being bitten by a venomous snake can even stop some people in their tracks at the sight of a snake. The non-venomous Pueblan Milk snake may look scary, but it is not venomous.
Reptile rescuer and educator Diana Sleiertin has a way to help you identify a venmous snake.
"Red on Black, friendly Jack, red on yellow, kill a fellow. So the coral snake has the opposing colors," explained Sleiertin.
The good news is there are only a few types of venomous snakes in the United States, including rattlesnakes, copperheads, water moccasins and coral snakes. The bad news is that the venomous coral snake looks very similar to the non-venomous Pueblan Milk snake, and other king snakes found throughout the Americas.
The Pueblan Milk snake can make a fun, fascinating, easy to care for and long living pet. These colorful reptiles can live 15 to 20 years, grow to 3 to 5 feet long, and only need to be fed frozen mice every 10 to 14 days.
The snakes require water, at least two places to hide, and a heating source in their enclosure. Never use cedar or pine shaving as bedding for a reptile enclosure because it is toxic.
Before you bring home any pet, especially an exotic pet, it is important to do your own research. For more information, head to LINK='http://maxmanreptilerescue.org/'>maxmanreptilerescue.org.