This time of year, your pets will begging for a taste of your holiday treats. In this edition of Pet Pointers, YNN's Lisa Chelenza tells us about some of those tasty treats that can be hazardous for your pet.
Chocolate is one of the worst foods for your pets. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. It contains a substance called theobromine, and caffeine. Those items combined can cause rapid or irregular heartbeat, diarrhea, vomitting, or seizures for your pet. Chocolate poisoning can lead to death within 24 hours.
Raisins and grapes can also be deadly to your pets. Those foods can cause kidney failure. Scientists are unsure why grapes and raisins have that damaging effect to an animal's kidneys. Signs to look out for include vomitting, diarrhea, and lethargy.
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in gum, mints, various sugar-free treats, and toothpaste. Although the substance is fine for humans to consume, but can cause a sudden release of insulin and drop in blood sugar in dogs, as well as possible liver damage.
If your dog shows signs of poisoning, such as vomitting or appears off balance or intoxicated, call your veterinarian immediately. Be sure to take them to the nearest emergency veterinary clinic for treatment.
To help you not give in to any begging, keep doggie treats handy and practice sit, stay and come the next time your dog is giving you that look.