LATHAM, N.Y. -- "I got out with just my shoes. I went back for my shoes. I wasn't about to stand out here barefoot," said Latham resident Earl Dingman.
Dingman was just one of the residents at the Valley View apartment complex who was displaced by fire.
According to firefighters, the fire started on the porch at building 22.
When firefighters pulled up just before 11:15 a.m., they saw lots of flames and smoke. As you can see, the building is gutted. Firefighters were able to keep it from spreading to other buildings, but the August sun made for a difficult fight.
"Yeah, anytime you have heavy flames and have the temperatures rising and you get here in August, it's harder for the firefighters to battle these things," said Bought Community Fire District Chief Eric Clough.
A handful of firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion.
At least four apartments were destroyed, but thankfully, everyone inside made it out okay.