MECHANICVILLE, N.Y. -- Nine people are displaced after an early morning fire in Mechanicville.
According to police, a fire broke out on the second floor of a home on Penrose Avenue. It happened around 3:30 a.m. on Saturday.
All nine people made it out safely, but one of the family cats was killed.
The local chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the victims.
"We did provide financial assistance to help replace food, clothing, seasonal garments. In both instances, families had gone out and bought their winter clothes for the start of the school year and then other needs, prescription medications, eyeglasses, we'll help with those as well," noted Gary Ferris, Executive Director of the American Red Cross.
Fire officials said the home is a total loss. They believe it was caused by an electrical issue.