Police in Colonie were on high alert Thursday night after more than 100 kids took to the streets causing mischief last Halloween. YNN's Erin Vannella visited the neighborhood where it all happened.
COLONIE, N.Y. -- "Groups of hundreds of kids descended on the neighborhood," said Colonie Police Lieutenant Robert Winn.
"It was Halloween and I knew there was going to be eggs and shaving cream and toilet paper," said Colonie resident Susan Giuneo.
"And it causes a very dangerous situation that we're fearful not only for them, but for the homeowners as well as our officers," said Winn.
That was last year, but this year, all was quiet in Colonie.
"It's just safer out here. Less traffic and you can go door to door, and I decided not to even finish trick-or-treating. It was just not good," said Colonie resident Unikia Cross.
Colonie Police have stepped up patrols after 2012's mischief night on Danielwood Drive. So much so, even trick-or-treaters are scarce.
"We do have a full complement of officers, as well as supplemented by additional officers to make sure that we have enough people to handle any incident that comes up. That's everything from the chief of police that will be out there all the way down to patrol officers," said Winn.
They sent letters home to parents in the Colonie School District too, warning not to drop kids off in neighborhoods unsupervised. Most of the parents tended to agree with police.
"I think on Halloween, it's just one of those days you really do need to step up patrols and have people walking because there's kids out and not only that we want to keep it safe, and we also want the kids to have fun, too," said Cross.
Giuneo added, "But it was Halloween. It's Halloween. Honestly I don't think they did anything different I didn't do myself."