This section displays the latest news articles that were published.
A Sparrowbush man accused of shooting a fugitive rape suspect outside his home pleads not guilty to a number of charges, including second degree murder, in Orange County Court. YNN's Meredith Zaritheny has more.
GOSHEN, N.Y. -- "I think people will realize David Carlson is a good man," said David Wallace, Attorney for David Carlson.
It's a long road ahead for David Carlson. He at 42, a father of 3, was arraigned in Orange County Court Monday, on second degree murder, manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide and criminal possession of a weapon, in connection to the shooting death of a fugitive wanted on rape charges. Carlson pleaded not guilty to all counts of the grand jury indictment.
"The family was somber and you know the court did a good job it was very quick and business like so we're ready to move forward," said Wallace.
Back on October 11th, Law enforcement officials had been searching Sparrowbush for Norris Acosta-Sanchez, 35, wanted on rape charges in Rockland County. Prosecutors say Carlson tried to detain Acosta-Sanchez until authorities could arrive. Police say that's when Carlson shot Acosta-Sanchez, who was unarmed, in the head with a 12 gauge shotgun killing him.
"We certainly believe it was self defense," said Wallace.
"It's a lot easier to assert self defense when someone is armed with a weapon is coming at you, it's a little more difficult I will admit when the person is unarmed. But again, that's why we have trials and jury’s who make the ultimate decision," said Frank Phillips, Orange District Attorney.
Carlson maintains he is innocent and says once all the details come out during the trial he believes he'll be exonerated.
"I'm very happy with the evidence that we have found and I feel that this evidence is going to exonerate Mr. Carlson. And we look forward to presenting it and letting people see the story," said Wallace.
Carlson is due back in court next month.