Did you know most house fires start in the kitchen? Well in honor of Fire Prevention Month, our Megan Cruz has some life-saving reminders from the Albany Fire Department.
ALBANY, N.Y. -- "As you can see, the oven is on fire," said Albany Fire Investigator Chris Kollias.
It's a fire that can quickly progress and engulf an entire kitchen in seconds. Kollias says most house fires start in the kitchen, usually because a stove that's on is left unattended.
"You can't leave the stove on even for a minute and walk away," he said. "You have to turn it off."
If you don't, it's likely you'll have a fire on your hands, so "with an oven mitt, take a cover and cover the pan or pot," said Kollias. "Do not remove the pan or pot."
Just some life-saving advice from the Albany Fire Department. It's part of their push in honor of Fire Prevention Month. Training company Bullex is behind this simulation.
Another common mistake: Not being aware of the placement of things in the kitchen.
"Over here, you'll see the trash can is too close to the stove," said Kollias. "Anything combustible, you want a three foot from the stove, so trash cans, paper towels, pot holders."
Same thing goes for appliances like toaster ovens. You don't want them underneath a cabinet, by curtains, or by the sink.
If a fire starts in a toaster, "Just unplug it and leave it alone," he said.
And same goes for the microwave.
When it comes to an oven fire, "Keep the doors closed, turn off the controls," said Kollias.
If it gets out of control, "You have 30 seconds to put the fire out if you witness the fire happen."
After that, "Just drop everything and get out and call 911," he said.
Kollias also stresses the importance of practicing fire drills at home and having working smoke detectors.
"We just want everyone to be safe," he said.