Updated 06/28/2012 06:02 PM
Latham girl electrocuted at mini golf course in Florida
An 11-year-old girl from Latham is dead after being electrocuted at a mini golf course in Florida. As our Erin Connolly explains, a family vacation quickly turned into a tragedy.
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
ORLANDO, Fla. -- After turning 11 years old last week, Ashton Jojo's life was cut short Wednesday afternoon. While vacationing with her family near Orlando, Florida, the Latham resident tried to retrieve a golf ball from a pond at a mini golf course. That's when she started crying for help. A man tried rescuing her from the two-foot deep pond, but was also injured. Jojo died shortly after arriving at an area hospital.
North Colonie Schools Superintendent D. Joseph Corr said, “I just think a sense of overwhelming sense of loss and sorrow for a life that ended way too soon.”
Jojo recently completed fifth grade at Southgate Elementary School in Loudonville. Grief counselors will be at Southgate on Thursday and Friday for any students, staff and community members.
We spoke with some neighbors of the Jojo family. They didn't want to talk on camera, but said they'll remember Jojo as a sweet and loving little girl.
The medical examiner says Jojo's death was accidental and she was electrocuted. So sudden and unexpected, a profound loss for those who knew her.
Corr said, "She's going to be very, very dearly missed by her classmates, by the staff at Southgate School.”