National Grid investigates manhole incidents
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
ALBANY, N.Y. -- Investigations will take place in the city of Albany and the city of Troy following three incidents of manhole covers being blown open. The latest incident happened on Thursday night on Fifth Avenue between Federal and Jacob Streets in Troy. According to National Grid, the manhole was dislodged because of a cable malfunction.
Earlier this week, more than 2,000 people lost power in Arbor Hill following an electrical issue underground in Albany. National Grid crews were called to North Pearl Street where witnesses said they saw smoke coming from a manhole.
The first incident happened last week in downtown Albany. The underground fire caused businesses on Pearl Street and Eagle Street to close. A spokesperson for National Grid said they are launching a full investigation and working with the city of Albany, Mayor Jerry Jennings, and the city of Troy.
"We are going to do a full investigation for each incident. Try and determine exactly what caused the fires on the lines. In each incident there was smoldering wire," explained Patrick Stella, National Grid Spokesperson.
There is a meeting scheduled for Monday afternoon to discuss the underground issues.